Re: [Full-Disclosure] Teen hacker controls ebay

From: Rainer Duffner (
Date: 09/10/04

    To: Qber?= GuidoZ <>
    Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 01:51:59 +0200

    Am Do, den 09.09.2004 schrieb Über GuidoZ um 20:24:
    > I believe it was done through email. DENIC received the request to
    > change the DNS, then emailed Tucows to see if it was ok to make the
    > changes. By default, the answer is yes. So, since no one responded
    > saying "Hell no! Don't do that", the changes were made.
    > Personally, I can't comprehend how the default for something like that
    > would be "Yes",

    Because, if the ISP is bankrupt, the "YES" will never come.
    And I'd like to see you scramble to get your domains from a bankrupt
    hoster to another one, waiting for that simple "yes" to your transfer,
    which will never come as all lines have been cut and not a single bit
    will ever come from their /24 or /16 again...

    IMHO (and several others more involved in the domain-trading biz), the
    guy will get away with a proverbial wrist-slapping, even more so because
    he's just 19. But also because he didn't really break any laws, apart
    from claiming that he owns

    But - I think they deserved it. It's what you get when you
    answer every mail with a boilerplate response.
    Sometimes, fate seems to meet the right company and all their bad deedss
    fall back on them <G>

    Can you imagine ?

    'Thank you for your mail regarding "Transfer of the domain".
    We are constantly working to improve your experience...bla.blabla.'

    'Perhaps you'll find the answer to you question on the following sites:
    <links to predefined ebay-FAQs>'

    ~     Rainer Duffner -     ~
    ~           Freising - Munich - Germany           ~
    ~    Unix - Linux - BSD - OpenSource - Security   ~
    ~  ~
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.