Re: [Full-Disclosure] open telnet port

From: Kenneth Ng (kenneth.d.ng_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/07/04

    To: ismail syed <ismail_syed05@yahoo.com>
    Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:29:59 -0400

    If you have the "lsof" package (and if you don't I strongly recommend
    it), do a "lsof | grep LISTEN | grep telnet". That should give you
    the process that has the port open.

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 03:43:44 -0700 (PDT), ismail syed
    <ismail_syed05@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > HI list,
    > I have some strange problem or may be its starnge to
    > me
    > I have closed the Telnet port in Solaris 8 server by
    > hashing inetd but still its listening at port 23,even
    > after giving HUP to inetd.
    > I can do telnet from other machines to this server,
    > its getting connected but not showing login prompt.
    > Please give me solution how to close this port,I dont
    > know any other way just except hashing inetd.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Ismail

    > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    > Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    > Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: open telnet port
      ... I do have a Solaris box to play with, so I might be able to figure out ... the port and get data through it rather have it just time out. ... If you try to connect with telnet ... >>know any other way just except hashing inetd. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] open telnet port
      ... > hashing inetd but still its listening at port 23,even ... Download and run lsof ... lsof will show you the process attached to telnet port. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Telnet port 25
      ... Subject: Telnet port 25 ... is the sole responsibility of the customer and depends on the customer's ... Configuring sendmail 8.11.0 for Anti-Relay ...
      (AIX-L)
    • Re: Linux Forums unreachable.
      ... DSL router, do you? ... web site that does not match linuxforums.org. ... interesting to see if the problem is specific to port 80. ... ray@RaysComputer:~$ telnet www.linuxforums.org 21 ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Suggestion for a lexical (login mode via TCPIP)
      ... Not sure of it is the right one to modify or to add another one, but it would be useful to be able to get information on whether the user us coming in via FTP, TELNET, etc. ... This would also allow a LOGIN.COM to check if someone is coming in through a secure/SSL port for instance. ... For the HP SSH server, it seems to be undefined. ... forget about the possibility of virtual terminals. ...
      (comp.os.vms)