Re: [Full-Disclosure] Viral infection via Serial Cable

Valdis.Kletnieks_at_vt.edu
Date: 09/01/04

    To: Harlan Carvey <keydet89@yahoo.com>
    Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:32:47 -0400

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:06:43 PDT, Harlan Carvey said:

    > > > You're right, but what does that have to do with
    > > an
    > > > RS-232 serial cable?
    > >
    > > What did you hook your modem to the computer with?
    >
    > Phone cord with an RJ-ll connector. Even back when I
    > did own a 300baud modem, installed in an Epson QX-10,
    > it was phone cable...not RS-232.

    Newbie. :)

    http://www.cs.unc.edu/Outreach/vr/computer_museum/acousticcoupler1.html

    And yes, you ran an RS232 between it and your DTE/DCE (as appropriate):

    http://williambader.com/museum/modem300/modem300.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Viral infection via Serial Cable
      ... On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 05:42:40 PDT, Harlan Carvey said: ... What did you hook your modem to the computer with? ... like you could fit those old 300 baud acoustic couplers in a PCI slot ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Viral infection via Serial Cable
      ... > What did you hook your modem to the computer with? ... Phone cord with an RJ-ll connector. ... did own a 300baud modem, installed in an Epson QX-10, ... Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Setting up a Gaming Lan to connect to internet...how??
      ... It is currently on sale at best buy for 49.99 You hook that to your cable ... modem and it has an IP adress for you. ... With port forwarding I can setup a server behind the linksys that ... Then install W2K and some proxy software (someone suggested ...
    • Re: Will Ebooks Kill Print Books? By John Dvorak
      ... Umbrella Carrying Sissy writes: ... a land line if you were going to hook up a modem to it. ... "Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, ...
      (rec.arts.sf.written)
    • Re: Wireless from xp home to xp media center
      ... andbroad band in his room with his Media Center working. ... He needs the modem, ... > Note that that's merely one way to hook it up. ... > Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)