Re: [Full-Disclosure] Viral infection via Serial Cable

From: Qber_GuidoZ?= (uberguidoz_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/01/04

    To: Full Disclosure <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:34:41 -0400

    I wasn't trying to say there weren't viruses in those days. (Those
    days being mid-late 80's.) I was just trying to explain the same fact
    you pointed out - they didn't spread like they do today. (Did I really
    say not possible? I'll have to go back and read that =P )

    I believe the original author of this conversation was worried about
    one of your run-of-the-mill worms from today jumping through the
    serial connection over to the Windows 2000 system. That's what my
    comments were directed at, not the fact that viruses didn't exist. I'm
    well aware, like most of us, that some of the first computer viruses
    were created between 80-83, primarily as research programs on the
    Apple II. (Sometimes I miss the simplicity of my Apple IIe.) Google
    "nVir" and "hPAT" if you're after more info on early viruses (1986 era
    I believe). I won't go into more, as that's somewhat off topic.

    Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original statements. Thanks for the
    clarification Valdis. =)

    --
    Peace. ~G
    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:42:19 -0400, valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu
    <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:
    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 05:42:40 PDT, Harlan Carvey said:
    >
    > > You're right, but what does that have to do with an
    > > RS-232 serial cable?
    >
    > What did you hook your modem to the computer with?  It wasn't
    > like you could fit those old 300 baud acoustic couplers in a PCI slot
    > (not that PCI had been invented yet either.. ;)
    >
    > (Although I was more addressing the "there weren't viruses in
    > those days" aspect of the quoted text)...
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html