[Full-Disclosure] Raw sockets elimination in Windows XP SP2

From: Edward Ray (support_at_mmicman.com)
Date: 08/27/04

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:31:00 -0700

     Should this topic already have been discussed on FD, my apologies.

    IMHO, crippling the TCP/IP stack instead of Fixing a flawed OS is not the
    way to do things.

    According the Fyodor, author of Nmap, MS did not even implement it properly,
    as Nmap v3.55-SP2 has been provided for a workaround.

    MS also throttled TCP connections which affects P2P networks. Now that
    companies are embracing P2P for their own internal networks, this is another
    reason not to upgrade to SP2.

    I guess I will have to leave my laptop dual boot for the time being...

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: hiding OS name
      ... > # prevents nmap et al. from identifying the TCP/IP stack, but breaks support ... > # for RFC1644 extensions and is not recommended for web servers. ... tools like nmap to detect the OS type and version. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: How can I erase my fingertips .
      ... # TCP_DROP_SYNFIN adds support for ignoring TCP packets with SYN+FIN. ... # prevents nmap et al. from identifying the TCP/IP stack, but breaks support ... > I want to stop nmap from detecting my os. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Nmap port scan reports
      ... I am currently investigating using nmap to do a weekly port scan on some of ... our internal networks. ... HTML) from the results of an nmap port scan. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)