Re: IpSwitch IMail Server <= ver 8.1 User Password Decryption

From: David E. Smith (dave_at_technopagan.org)
Date: 08/19/04

    Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 04:14:54 +0000 (GMT)
    To: Adik <netninja@hotmail.kg>

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Adik wrote:

    > IpSwitch IMail Server version up to 8.1 uses weak encryption algorithm to
    > encrypt its user passwords. Have a look at attached proof of concept tool,
    > which will decrypt user password from local machine instantly.

    Heck, this isn't even news. It was posted to Bugtraq a while back. Like
    1999. This URL details Imail's password scheme for Imail 5.0:

    http://seclists.org/bugtraq/1999/Dec/0255.html

    About a year ago, I found that article, and used it to "decrypt" a few
    lost email passwords on my Imail 7.15 installation.

    Given the fact that Imail tries to do just about everything (it does POP3,
    SMTP, IMAP, LDAP, includes a Web server and makes crispy French fries),
    this sort of thing is probably bound to stay around for a while.

    One of the neat things about Imail (other than that it does practically
    everything) is that it's backwards-compatible. If my Imail 8.1x
    installation does something weird, I can roll it back to Imail 7.x with
    maybe fifteen minutes' work. This level of backwards compatibility does
    lead to weird problems and security issues (q.v. every version of DOS and
    Windows for about fifteen years).

    ...dave