[Full-Disclosure] Windows Update

From: Security List (secfocuslist_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/20/04

    To: full-disclosure@netsys.com
    Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:50:54 -0700 (PDT)

    Went to windows update last night w/ XP Pro.
    Redirected to the v5 version. I was asked to install
    the new Windows Update software...downloaded the WU
    software...copied the files...then saw
    registering...kinda thinking that it was checking for
    a valid registration or license. No updates needed
    according to WU. XP SP2 is not available via WU for
    XP Pro yet.

    Now, I checked the Automatic Update service to see if
    it was turned back start automatic as I always have it
    disabled. Yup, it was set to automatic and it was
    started. I stop and disable automatic update service,
    and try WU. Get error stating that the automatic
    update service must be enable to use WU now. Has
    anybody else head of this? Once again, we must have
    services that we do not want enable. I can not
    believe that they are forcing user to turn on the
    service to use WU.

    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: why do i get the same security updates?they are old
      ... The Automatic Update service repeatedly offering the same update packages ... after a successful installation. ... Additional known issues and solutions can be found on the Windows Update ...
    • Re: windows update
      ... it does not install either way. ... The Automatic Update service repeatedly offering the same update packages after ... Additional known issues and solutions can be found on the Windows Update ...
    • Re: Updates everyday?
      ... > Microsoft everyday. ... The Automatic Update service repeatedly offering the same update packages ... Additional known issues and solutions can be found on the Windows Update ...
    • Re: 0x800a0046 Windows Update Error
      ... >> Guests or Limited account groups: ... Open the account that is used to access Windows Update. ... Start Automatic Update Service and try Windows Update again. ... Choose Local Security Policy. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: Fehler 0x80245003
      ... Administrator priviliges to do this? ... What MowGreen means is that you should stop the Windows Update service just ... schaffen, klappt aber nicht. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)