Re: [Full-Disclosure] lame bitching about xpsp2

From: devis (devis_at_easynix.net)
Date: 08/13/04

    To: James Patterson Wicks <pwicks@oxygen.com>, Full-disclosure <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:50:10 +0200

    Did i said that business world should return to command line ? I wasn't
    under that impression.

    Do the interface of OpenOffice and MS Office looks THAT different to you
    ? Hell no. These secretaries are formed to work on an interface, and
    changing a few things in that same interface will not as you think,
    bring the business word to a crawl. To the reverse, it will make them
    more proefficient at computer usage, as any human does become better
    when having to deal with different interfaces / systems. It will make
    them curious about the new software, capabilities and changes. It voids
    the 'One way of thinking' that vendors try to impose.
    Nowadays it is perfectly possible to have 'workers' use a free desktop,
    100 % compatible with all M$ formats, at lower costs, performing better
    ( real multitasking ), and with real stability and not prone to virii.
    So why isn't it happening ?
    Yes Unix expertise and tuition is expensive, but if all ur software
    licenses costs and other support contracts license money was going to
    your own Nix expert employe, who uses free software, not only would you
    save money, but you will be more secure too.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Stategy for (Large?) 16bit COBOL code conversion to Net Express
      ... Express and Visual studio 2005 loaded on a Windows 2003 Terminal server. ... interface from application logic. ... AFTER user interface is separated from business ... Because Linux has a big chunk of the server market. ...
      (comp.lang.cobol)
    • Re: Relational model versus object model
      ... > inventory control for a retail bricks & mortar business. ... > problem solutions are inherently dynamic. ... you said it yourself: it is a data centric interface. ...
      (comp.object)
    • Re: Gradual Application Conversion
      ... we have a business object to handle each form in our ... > partition your application, entirely in VFP. ... Write test cases against the COM interface to make ... > The front end work was a horizontal slice, ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
    • Re: Encapsulation vs separation of concerns
      ... But normal programming logic is synchronous. ... When implementing the business logic, ... persistence layer at the same time. ... For me, in a given context, an interface ...
      (comp.object)
    • Re: XP Requirement Analysis?
      ... and use TDD to force the same design to emerge. ... > These principles, used with other XP situations like pair programming, ... OK, but you need to know what that interface is, so you must do some ... to buy a business value. ...
      (comp.object)