Re: [Full-Disclosure] (no subject)

From: Barry Fitzgerald (bkfsec_at_sdf.lonestar.org)
Date: 08/13/04

    To: Todd Towles <toddtowles@brookshires.com>
    Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:02:03 -0400

    Todd Towles wrote:

    >How is naming a virus with @mm or a W32 in the front slow the process
    >down? Naming has nothing to do with AV venders making money IMO. If it
    >does, McAfee should change its name to Norton before tries to buy it
    >out. =)

    It doesn't have a direct impact -- however, you're not going to get the
    major companies to agree to put resources towards collaboration and
    changing names. That's a used resource which cuts into their profits.
    (Note: I'm trying to take this from their perspective, not mine.)

    It's a little more complex than just having prefixes and postfixes.
    Actually, if you look at the latest e-mail worms and their variance in
    variant naming between AV vendors, it's a lot more complex than
    standardized prefixes and whatnot.

    Not to mention the fact that many businesses won't do so as a matter of
    ego/self-reliance.

                 -Barry

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] (no subject)
      ... It is a very complex issue...but a simple agreement on standard ... major companies to agree to put resources towards collaboration and ... variant naming between AV vendors, it's a lot more complex than ... standardized prefixes and whatnot. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: FAQ: rec.arts.sf.composition (incomplete)
      ... For imaginary languages, ... Naming ressources would be highly useful. ... you might want to just put a link to Onomastikon into the ... and put static resources in section 11 "additional ...
      (rec.arts.sf.composition)