Re: [Full-Disclosure] lame bitching about xpsp2

From: Shannon Johnston (sjohnston_at_cavionplus.com)
Date: 08/13/04

    To: Will Image <xillwillx@yahoo.com>
    Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 01:18:58 -0600

    Will Image wrote:

    >no its not that we are stupid. i first installed sp2
    >on my macine. when it wasnt working right i decided to
    >backup any important files and reformat and try
    >installing sp2 on a clean install.... out of the box
    >sp2 has a shitload of problem.. i'm sorry that you
    >cant recreate the same 'issues' when asking a/s/l on
    >your aol 9.0 .. just because you havent experienced
    >anything wrong doesnt mean that someone else with a
    >different configuration will have the same luck as you
    >, so stop trying to be a corporate whore for micro$oft
    >because its not gonna win you any brownie points with
    >anyone
    >

    >--- Nick Eoannidis <nikon@xillioncomputers.com> wrote:
    >

    >>ok, i dont know what you guys have done when
    >>installing xpsp2
    >>but their is nothing wrong with it!
    >>i have gone through rc1 and rc2 - sure rc2 wasnt
    >>stable but its a beta its
    >>not supposed to be!
    >>
    >>i have installed xpsp2 on all my machines - the full
    >>package 272mg and it
    >>works fine! no out of focus windows blah blah and
    >>any other crap
    >>
    >>quite frankly if your dumb enough to install sp2
    >>without thinking what you
    >>might break then it is your fault!! - ie uninstall
    >>any firewall software
    >>before installing sp2
    >>
    >>its time to stop bitching about sp2 and get it
    >>working - its going to save
    >>the IT industry time and money by stopping worms and
    >>buffer overruns etc.
    >>
    >>m$ have actually got this one right!

    >>Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    >>Charter:
    >>http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html
    >>

    >Wow, holy crap!!

     I REALLY hate to say this, but cry me a frickin river...
    I haven't had the "pleasure" of installing SP2 on ANY of my machines.
    (Luckily my Windoze machines are more useless than they are useful), but
    even I know the problems with installing ANYTHING from MS.... to me,
    everything that comes out of Redmond breaks "something" (should you
    expect anything less?) thus I'm always prepared for the worst. Even
    thouogh wish it were different, I cannot help but be un-sympatheitic to
    people who don't read the release notes that come out nearly MONTHS
    before an MS patch set (SP2 or otherwise) comes out. Although am NEVER
    pro-M$, I do have to give them credt for trying their best on this
    one... I knew about problems way before the forums brought them up...

    Shannon Johnston
    "Good Lord!! I'm pro-L:inux you insensitive clod!!!"

    >Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish.
    >http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    >Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    >Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Help, confused, Lost!!!!!!
      ... I installed SP2 and Trend Micro Anitvirus yesterday. ... I'm not sure if I do that in Safe Mode or not. ... restore picking a point just prior to the attempt at installing Sp2. ... The thing about installing SP2 is you really need to read up on the 'what to ...
    • Re: Cannot open IE, cannot read OE email after installing Windows
      ... HijackThis log, Trixie? ... Remember to visit Windows Update after installing SP2 for post-SP2 patches/updates you may need. ...
    • Re: Security Update KB918899
      ... One of the biggest headaches when attempting to install SP2 was the presence ... My take on how best to clean up the system prior to installing SP2 is below. ... You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. ... gave me a blue screen on bootup, so I rolled back the drivers. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
    • Re: Security Update KB918899
      ... One of the biggest headaches when attempting to install SP2 was the presence ... download, 270mb, so you will need access to high speed internet. ... My take on how best to clean up the system prior to installing SP2 is below. ... gave me a blue screen on bootup, so I rolled back the drivers. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
    • Re: Cannot open IE, cannot read OE email after installing Windows
      ... My first post was on (Trixie): ... > after installing SP2 for post-SP2 patches/updates you may need. ... > Are You Ready for WinXP SP2? ...