RE: [Full-Disclosure] lame bitching about xpsp2

From: Brad Griffin (b.griffin_at_cqu.edu.au)
Date: 08/13/04

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:33:10 +1000

    -----Original Message-----
    From: full-disclosure-admin@lists.netsys.com
    [mailto:full-disclosure-admin@lists.netsys.com] On Behalf Of Eric
    Paynter
    Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 12:45 PM
    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] lame bitching about xpsp2

    On Thu, August 12, 2004 6:12 pm, Nick Eoannidis said:
    > ok, i dont know what you guys have done when installing xpsp2 but
    > their is nothing wrong with it!
    > i have gone through rc1 and rc2 - sure rc2 wasnt stable but its a beta

    > its not supposed to be!
    >
    > i have installed xpsp2 on all my machines - the full package 272mg and

    > it works fine! no out of focus windows blah blah and any other crap
    >
    > quite frankly if your dumb enough to install sp2 without thinking what

    > you might break then it is your fault!! - ie uninstall any firewall
    > software before installing sp2
    >
    > its time to stop bitching about sp2 and get it working - its going to
    > save the IT industry time and money by stopping worms and buffer
    overruns etc.

    > m$ have actually got this one right!

    It's great that it works for your one configuration, but there are
    thousands of other configurations out there. For some, it is not
    working, even when they read the documentation. The world is not just
    you and your PC.

    -Eric

    *****************
    *****************
    I'd be far less kind in responding Eric. I'd say, "So you with your 'all
    my machines' had no problems and the rest of the planet are whingers?"
    Well aren't you clever! Do you want some lollies to celebrate? Thanks
    for that suggestion about uninstalling any firewall too. That should fix
    everyone's' problems with sp2!

    But I suppose, if it made Mr Eoannidis feel that good that he had to
    post some bait, I'll bite and make him feel even better because he got a
    response.

    Cheers,

    P.S. FWIW my home system had no problems with sp2 either. We're still
    doing thorough testing before deploying in a professional environment
    though, for obvious reasons.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] lame bitching about xpsp2
      ... i dont know what you guys have done when installing xpsp2 ... no out of focus windows blah blah and any other crap ... > quite frankly if your dumb enough to install sp2 without thinking what you ... It's great that it works for your one configuration, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: something positive on SP2
      ... > Just wanted to say that I finally got up the courage to install SP2 and so ... and defragged prior to installing. ... > me once I was sure my computer was clean. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • XP SP2 IS THE WORST THING EVER
      ... I spent the night on the phone to Micro$oft for them to just fob me ... They got me to install SP2 ... experienced staff, they will see a law suit hitting their doorstep ... another program which is causing it, however I was only installing SP2 ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Is XP Professional SP1 affected by animated cursor vulnerability?
      ... I am running AutoCad 2002 which is ... installing a Service Pack should be no problem. ... It appears that Microsoft is saying that I must install SP2 to get ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: Is XP Professional SP1 affected by animated cursor vulnerability?
      ... If you computer is clean of viruses, spyware and other malware and also is running fine, installing a Service Pack should be no problem. ... It appears that Microsoft is saying that I must install SP2 to get hotfix ... year old computer since my tech guy said it was sure to cause problems. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)