Re: [Full-Disclosure] SP2 is killing me. Help?

From: Harlan Carvey (keydet89_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/12/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 03:33:18 -0700 (PDT)

    Darren,

    > Windows XP SP2 has got to be up there with Windows
    > NT 4.0 service pack 2
    > in terms of crap updates, possibly even worse.
    > Maybe M$ are trying to
    > push everyone away from Windows ?

    Wow! MS goes about doing what the security folks have
    been harping on for years...providing a modicum of
    security in their operating system...and now it's a
    "crap update"? Protection against buffer overflows,
    the firewall on by default, etc...what we've been
    asking for and harping on...and you come back with
    "crap updates"?!?

    Someone goes out and blindly installs SP2 on their
    system, and has issues...and it's the vendor's fault?
    IBM issued a statement that they didn't want anyone
    installing the SP within their org b/c of issues
    they'd found during testing.

    For home users...if you're running your XP box on the
    Internet such that you *must* have SP2 in order to
    keep operating, and can't wait for the shake-down
    cruise...well, then something's already wrong with
    what you're doing.

    I guess there's just no pleasing some people.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Slow startup and shutdown
      ... > applications that have always been present, ... The problem began before loading SP2 and hasn't changed. ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    • Re: Windows Startup Taking a Long Time
      ... It may help speed up your system, but it should be clean ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... As for Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP, ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    • APPLE-SA-2012-05-15-1 QuickTime 7.7.2
      ... Windows 7, Vista, XP SP2 or later ... Viewing a maliciously crafted movie file may lead to an ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: question about clean install after SP2
      ... > After SP2 install my IE was seriously defective. ... You should periodically defragment your hard drives as well as check them ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    • Re: Browser Adverts????????
      ... With everything in this list and SP2.. ... It contains advice ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...