RE: [Full-Disclosure] AV Naming Convention

From: Frank Knobbe (
Date: 08/10/04

    To: "Randal, Phil" <>
    Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:40:20 -0500

    On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 10:06, Randal, Phil wrote:
    > [...] I for one would rather all the antivirus
    > vendors came up with their own names if it meant that
    > detection/disinfection patterns came out hour earlier.

    And the reason the name of the virus can not be changed after said hour
    is what exactly? Agreeing on a name does not mean that they have to
    delay release of signatures.

    Perhaps new sigs can be released with candidate names, but then shortly
    thereafter changed to an agreed upon, standardized name.

    " other news, the new virus which the industry now calls
    NewSucker-1, caused havoc amongst those that...."

    Contrast that to:

    " other new, the new virus which the industry calls NewSuck-A or
    SuckThis-1, which is also known by the name of SuckTrojan.95 or
    Underloader-13, caused havoc amongst those that..."

    But you're right, the response time should not be compromised. I still
    believe that agreeing on a single name after the initial releases is not
    just possible, but would benefit all involved.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.