Re: [Full-Disclosure] (no subject)

From: Marek Isalski (Marek.Isalski_at_smuht.nwest.nhs.uk)
Date: 08/10/04

    To: <full-disclosure@netsys.com>
    Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:08:41 +0100

    >>> Michael Simpson <Michael.Simpson@inveresk.com> 10/08/2004 10:00:52 >>>
    > i've worked within medicine in my previous life as an ER doc and guess
    > what
    > there is no formal naming standardisation within it, at least not one that
    > there is any sort of agreement over, though people have been trying for
    > centuries to sort something out.
    >
    > -three letter acronym anyone?

    I always find the adrenaline/epinephrin naming clash amusing and confusing. Does it stem from a company Trademarking "adrenaline" in the USA? Because, as far as I can tell, everyone uses "adrenaline" as the generic term for the hormone of the same name here in the UK.

    Acronyms have their own pitfalls too... I've heard of numerous cases where a derogotary and unprofessional acronym was written on/in some medical notes (PITA, TWOT etc). Perhaps it should be standard practice that when the patient asks to have his/her medical notes explained to him/her, as s/he is quite entitled under the Data Protection Act, the member of staff writing said comment should explain its medical meaning and clinical significance.

    The scary part of acronyms comes with overloading. One derogotary (and very unprofessional) acronym I've heard about from a number of years ago was "NFR", meant to stand for "Normal For Ridgehill" (a region with which the local hospital had some "experience").

    NFR is more commonly used as an abbreviation for: Not For Resuscitation; from what I understand, NFR is a quite detailed set of circumstances, changing on a frequent basis, stipulating when somebody does not need resuscitation, i.e. are already beyond medical help.

    [disclaimer: i'm not a medic, so any corrections will be educational for me too!]

    Marek

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Ive figured out
      ... There was a production at the local Rep Theatre ... But even putting it like that is sort of misleading you. ... I think people are far more likely to pay negative attention to you if you are texting during the film, or if you fall asleep and snore during the whole film, or if you spend the whole film rustling around in plastic carrier bags. ... He undoubtedly does get looks, maybe even comments or questions from kids, but do you think he lets that stop him living his life? ...
      (uk.people.support.depression)
    • Re: Ive figured out
      ... There was a production at the local Rep Theatre ... But even putting it like that is sort of misleading you. ... I think people are far more likely to pay negative attention to you if you are texting during the film, or if you fall asleep and snore during the whole film, or if you spend the whole film rustling around in plastic carrier bags. ... He undoubtedly does get looks, maybe even comments or questions from kids, but do you think he lets that stop him living his life? ...
      (uk.people.support.depression)
    • Re: [OT] The Lean Plate Club ; Eat Your Carbs - 30-JUL-2006 - Cheri - Will, vent
      ... a mother should not have to worry about buying ... His fil, our son, paid for it all, while he struts around like a big whig. ... unless he is in school, or working on some sort of life goal... ...
      (alt.support.diabetes)
    • Re: Coping
      ... Her reasons where that she suddenly felt scared of the relationship. ... It can be a scary feeling, when you're in a relationship, to feel like you're losing yourself in the other person, sort of like being swallowed whole, almost like drowning, especially when you've been hurt in the past and are still dealing with that hurt and perhaps are not feeling ready to take another risk like that. ... I also think you're right, there is a chance she might decide to give it another chance with you, to let herself take that chance with her heart again, especially for such a positive relationship as you describe. ... i don't think it's healthy for you to put your life on hold while you wait for her to come back. ...
      (uk.people.support.depression)
    • Re: Is it really depression?
      ... Communication is such an easy, ... I'm not sure what sort of ... Not sure if Amy is ... the fore and family life will soon start to revolve around him/her. ...
      (uk.people.support.depression)