Re: [Full-Disclosure] Clear text password exposure in Datakey's tokens and smartcards

From: Kevin Sheldrake (kev_at_electriccat.co.uk)
Date: 08/05/04

    To: "Toomas Soome" <Toomas.Soome@microlink.ee>, lionel.ferette@belnet.be
    Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:39:18 +0100

    Surely if the user is entering a passphrase then the same problem exists -
    that of effectively eavesdropping that communication from the keyboard?

    Ignoring the initial expense for a moment, wouldn't it have made a lot of
    sense to include the keypad actually on the cards? Obviously, card
    readers would need to be contructed such that the keypad part of the card
    would be exposed during use. The keypad security could then rely on the
    tamper resistant properties of the rest of the card.

     From a costs perspective, I would guess that the actual per-card cost
    increase would be minimal if hundreds of millions of these cards were
    produced.

    Kev

    --
    Kevin Sheldrake MEng MIEE CEng CISSP