Re: [Full-Disclosure] Getting the lead out of broken virus / worm email meta-reporting

From: The Central Scroutinizer (scroutinizer_at_beeb.net)
Date: 08/03/04

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:19:57 +0100

    > How fast is fast? The time it takes an av, spyware or firewall
    > company to react to a real-time threat. I think there is going
    > to have to be a pooling of anti-virus, mail sweeping and firewall
    > protection knowledge. There should be a central policy that
    > can be reported and distributed to the various vendors and
    > clients that autoupdates the protecting software. Simply a
    > crisis-mail-alert with appropriate information for translation into a
    > protecting shield that updates all av, mail and firewall
    > utilities.
    >
    > Has anyone written or read a spec. on standardizing worm, virus
    > or other alerts with not just there's a'sploit, but a method of
    > reporting the 'sploit or adware, malware in a way that the
    > vendors and clients could instantly counter with a new filter or
    > fix?

    See :-

    http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/
    http://www.cve.mitre.org/

    I agree there should be an open standard and common public libraries of
    exploits and fixes.

    Aaron

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Alternative to Norton Internet Security?
      ... I have net experienced any viruses or other unwanted downloads / attacks. ... Is there an alternative security software/system available that is as good at protecting my system but without the cost in system performance? ... What WinXP's firewall does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you might download and install inadvertently. ... it is incumbent upon each and every computer user to learn how to secure his/her own computer. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Making Outpost work
      ... >> I am finding it quite hard configuring this firewall. ... Protecting a computer is a complex task, ... >> I do NOT REALLY NEED FEATURES for mail attachments, cookies, ActiveX, ... >> better than others but I would have like even more reporting tools). ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Making Outpost work
      ... >> I am finding it quite hard configuring this firewall. ... Protecting a computer is a complex task, ... >> I do NOT REALLY NEED FEATURES for mail attachments, cookies, ActiveX, ... >> better than others but I would have like even more reporting tools). ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Making Outpost work
      ... >> I am finding it quite hard configuring this firewall. ... Protecting a computer is a complex task, ... >> I do NOT REALLY NEED FEATURES for mail attachments, cookies, ActiveX, ... >> better than others but I would have like even more reporting tools). ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • RE: [fw-wiz] CERT vulnerability note VU# 539363
      ... So will anything south of a firewall- hosts aren't immune to flooding ... firewall is doing its job- stopping packets when there's an attack- ... aren't "protecting" external services like Web servers. ... one detailed in the vulnerability note) immediately, ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)