Re: [Full-Disclosure] Cool Web Search

From: Dave Horsfall (dave_at_horsfall.org)
Date: 07/30/04

    To: Full Disclosure List <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:26:59 +1000 (EST)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Andrew Clover wrote:

    > This is not the case for all variants of CWS. The newer, sneakier
    > variants can rebuild themselves if they detect a program like HijackThis
    > removing their registry entries.

    Not really "new", in the scheme of things. Over 30 years ago, some bored
    prgrammer wrote something for one of the mainframes of the day (ICL?
    IBM? Burroughs?) called "Robin Hood and Friar Tuck".

    They were two programs that monitored each other, occasionally printing
    cheeky messages to the console. Eventually, the (night-shift) operator
    would notice, and delete one of them. The console dialogue then went
    something like this:

    FRIAR: HELP ME SIR ROBIN, I AM UNDER ATTACK!
    ROBIN: FEAR NOT, BRAVE FRIAR, I SHALL RESCUE YOU!

    And so one restarted the other.

    The only way to remove this harmless jape (if you didn't know the right
    command) was to IPL the box, and it was a brave operator who did that...

    -- Dave

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html