Re: [Full-Disclosure] Erasing a hard disk easily

Valdis.Kletnieks_at_vt.edu
Date: 07/14/04

    To: Maarten <fulldisc@ultratux.org>
    Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 00:44:47 -0400

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:23:24 +0200, Maarten <fulldisc@ultratux.org> said:

    > * Department-of-defense level (dd as above but lots more times (like 10+))

    DOD 5220-22M says:

    http://www.irwin.army.mil/ac/Electronic_Publications/DoD_Pubs/DoD%205220-22-M/cp
    8.pdf

    Pages 14 and 15 note methods "a, b, d, and m" sanitizing fixed drives,
    and continues:

    d. Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, then a
    random character and verify. THIS
       METHOD IS NOT APPROVED FOR SANITIZING MEDIA THAT CONTAINS TOP SECRET INFORMA-
       TION.

    So 3 passes with verification is sufficient for up to Secret. Top Secret
    and higher classifications require physical destruction of the disk.

    (Note that these are the regs for civilian-sector contractors to the DoD,
    anybody with citations for the military and/or intelligence community
    segments feel free to speak up - but I suspect they're fairly similar..)

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Erasing a hard disk easily
      ... WipeDrive3 is a DOD approved product that I use and it calls ... DOD-level wiping 3 passes with 3 overwrites each. ... random character and verify. ... METHOD IS NOT APPROVED FOR SANITIZING MEDIA THAT CONTAINS TOP SECRET ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] erase with magnet
      ... Many of them are for encoding schemes not used anymore. ... > and then have all storage areas overwritten once with the binary digit ONE, ... > character, its complement, then a random character and verify." ... > permitted for classifications up to SECRET. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Erasing a hard disk easily
      ... Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, ... > random character and verify. ... > METHOD IS NOT APPROVED FOR SANITIZING MEDIA THAT CONTAINS TOP SECRET ... Full-Disclosure - We believe in it. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Wiping Out Data
      ... The dod scrub sequence is compliant with the DoD 5220.22-M procedure for ... then a random character, and verify. ... Please refer to the DoD document ... to tell the world "three wipes is enough". ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Washington DC airspace closing for good?
      ... > This is clearly NOT an FAA decision, ... > Working Group. ... In other words, the Secret Squirrels, Capitol Police ... > terrifying Cessna 150), and DoD. ...
      (rec.aviation.piloting)