Re: [Full-Disclosure] Is Mozilla's "patch" enough?

From: Thomas Kaschwig (sec_at_kaschwig.net)
Date: 07/12/04

    To: Aviv Raff <avivra@gmail.com>
    Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:51:15 +0200

    Aviv Raff wrote:

    > How can it not be a security flaw of mozilla if a setting in the
    > user.js overrides the global security setting defined by a patch, and
    > any manual setting defined by the user through the about:config?

    Because *nobody* should be able to write to your user.js file. If someone
    has write access to other peoples ~/.bashrc or whatever and inserts some
    malicious code, it is also no security flaw of the bash.

    > I understand that if an attacker has the ability to change the user.js

    If you can find a way to modify mozilla's preferences remotly, /then/ this
    is really a problem.

    > file he can do worse things, but why should there be a way to override
    > security patches without uninstalling them?

    You can overwrite every security patch, if you have sufficient write
    permissions.

    Thomas

    --
    PGP/GnuPG: http://www.kaschwig.net/kaschwig.gpg.asc * KeyID: 0x3D68D63A
    Fingerprint: 274A 4CB8 B362 D593 39D6 0989 8FC3 725F 3D68 D63A