Re: [Full-Disclosure] Gmail Information Disclosure Vulnerability

From: System Outage (system_outage_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 07/05/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 09:00:20 -0700 (PDT)

    If it's about posting advisories, why do many decide to post the exploit along with the advisory. To me this is not a responsible thing to do. Whoever knows how many script kiddies are sleeping on this list and taking advantage of the free exploit giveaway's seen here.

    10 days isn't an awful long time and the vendor never made primary contact with the user in question. Meaning, for whatever reason the e-mail may not have been delivered and because of this the Gmail Team could easily of been caught short on this issue and a serious hole exposed to the public, before the vendor (Gmail) has had a chance to scramble together an incident response and get the hole patched out, before a serious number of account's become compromised on the service.

    There is a difference between responsible "Full Disclosure" and irresponsible "Full Disclosure".

    Cheerio

    Tremaine <tremaine@gmail.com> wrote:
    It's about posting security advisories. The initial poster advises
    they notified the gmail team, and posted this advisory 10 days later.

    It is immaterial whether an application is in alpha, beta or
    production. If the software or application is in use outside the
    development team, and there is a security issue, it is relevant to
    this list.

    It's called Full Disclosure for a reason... not partial disclosure,
    not disclosure of production applications only... Full Disclosure.

    If you want partial disclosure, you may need to rethink your
    subscription to the list.

    --
    Tremaine
    IT Security Consultant