Re: [Full-Disclosure] Presidential Candidates' Websites Vulnerable

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresne_at_winternet.com)
Date: 07/02/04

    To: Jordan Klein <haplo@haplo.net>
    Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:40:38 -0500 (CDT)

    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Jordan Klein wrote:

    > > Anybody have any better ideas? We certainly can't trust the politicians or
    > Diebold. Considering the results of the last
    > > election the whole process seems questionable, like in Chicago
    > > "vote early, vote often."
    >
    > IMO, the only way to have the best of both worlds (electronic voting that
    > helps the impaired, and an audit trail) is to have them print out some sort
    > of encoded bar-code receipt that is what gets tallied. When you vote, you
    > immediately get two receipts. One to take home that gives you the name(s)
    > of who you voted for, and the other is read by a counting machine that
    > actually tallies the votes. The electronic voting machine that you use
    > should NOT actually tally any votes. The bar-coded receipt that is tallied
    > should also be a one-use code. That way, someone could run them through as

    That's just reverting back to a paper vote process, why waste the time and
    effort and expense to put in a bunch of calculators that preint up more
    paper fed into another calculator? Might as well go back to punchcards
    and either a hand tally or feed the cards into another calculator...

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne
    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
            ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't touch anything.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html