Re: [Full-Disclosure] Presidential Candidates' Websites Vulnerable

From: Jordan Klein (haplo_at_haplo.net)
Date: 07/01/04

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:48:18 -0500

    > Anybody have any better ideas? We certainly can't trust the politicians or
    Diebold. Considering the results of the last
    > election the whole process seems questionable, like in Chicago
    > "vote early, vote often."

    IMO, the only way to have the best of both worlds (electronic voting that
    helps the impaired, and an audit trail) is to have them print out some sort
    of encoded bar-code receipt that is what gets tallied. When you vote, you
    immediately get two receipts. One to take home that gives you the name(s)
    of who you voted for, and the other is read by a counting machine that
    actually tallies the votes. The electronic voting machine that you use
    should NOT actually tally any votes. The bar-coded receipt that is tallied
    should also be a one-use code. That way, someone could run them through as
    much as they want, and they would only get counted once. It should be
    trivial for the voting machine to come up with unique random numbers that
    can facilitate this. Also, when the vote is actually tallied by the
    separate machine that does this, it should give a receipt of it's own to
    confirm who you voted for. You could then compare the receipts of both
    machines to ensure your vote was counted properly. The receipts would then
    be kept by the voters, just in case massive data loss occurred. If that
    happened, then they could ask the voters to bring back their receipts, also
    encoded with the same bar code, to be recounted.

    Oh yes, and there should be a checksum of the unique number assigned to each
    vote to ensure that someone couldn't just reverse engineer the barcode and
    make up a bunch of bogus votes. I'm not sure exactly how that part would
    work, but I'm sure there's a way.

    Beyond this type of mechanism, I can't see a real way that electronic voting
    can satisfy both the impaired and the security minded.

    --
    Jordan Klein                     ~  Beware of dragons
    haplo@haplo.net                  ~  for you are crunchy

    • Why doesnt the GOP want Ohios voting machines tested?
      ... Ohio Republicans have blocked a proposal to test electronic voting machines ... By a 4-3 vote, Republicans on Ohio's State Controlling Board blocked ...
      (misc.survivalism)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Will a vote for John Kerry be counted by a Hart InterCivic eSlate3000 in Honol
      ... > whether or not the unit on which my vote was cast subsequently ... > electronic voting that do not exist in the same way with paper ballots. ... these safeguards continue to be ignored. ... > by all voters could be aggregated and published such that any voter could ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: ID card anyone?
      ... irregularities in the vote (not someone voting for a certain party, ... argument against electronic voting is that it would be a very simple ... for which people are entitled to vote with the same secrecy and privacy as any other party. ... piles for later analysis and having talked about the *secret* ballot with a supervising officer I know that any votes for *suspect* parties are reconciled against the voters list for further follow-up. ...
      (uk.rec.scouting)
    • *** BCS-FACS Evening Seminar by Prof. Steve Schneider, 3 March 2008, BCS London Offices, UK
      ... BCS-FACS Evening Seminar Series ... Secure Electronic Voting ... confidence that their vote is really included in the final tally. ... the stages in the processing of the votes, enabling the election to be ...
      (comp.theory)
    • Re: Electronic voting machines
      ... A vote for George Washington could easily be converted to a vote for ... Benedict Arnold on an electronic voting machine and neither the voter, ... nor the election officials administering the election would ever know ...
      (misc.survivalism)