Re: [Full-Disclosure] Misinformation on Scob/MSJect Corrected

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresne_at_winternet.com)
Date: 07/01/04

    To: Drew Copley <dcopley@eEye.com>
    Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:10:54 -0500 (CDT)

            [snip]

    > The original published paper by Jelmer:
    > http://seclists.org/lists/fulldisclosure/2003/Aug/1703.html
    >
    > For this "previously unknown vulnerability". It has been
    > known for ten months.
    >
    > To be fair, I think their tech writers and marketers got
    > confused in transmission from their IE security guys. It
    > is extremely confusing.

    Or it could be something a tad more deceptive from the marketing end of
    M$. Kinda like all the backpeddling that happened when the paper was
    released about the dependance upon a major single vendors SW in corporate
    america and the world at large, that cost at least one well known security
    pundit his job. At that time those with a hand in the M$ deep pockets did
    start to spin defensive lines around that major vendor and it's products,
    if only to keep their hands in those pockets. While this set of
    statements are purely my oppinion, I certainly do not doubt that M$ might
    well be trying to fight the current rants against it's 'efforts' with FUD,
    and in the mainstream media. It's certainly easy enough to later claim a
    fubar of hoof and mouth in an aftermath of 'rediscovery' of what was know
    and what was not and what is new and what's been on a back burner for
    almost a full year. and it certainly fits with their well known marketing
    paradyme.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
            ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't touch anything.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Misinformation on Scob/MSJect Corrected
      ... the truth is the issue is confusing. ... > released about the dependance upon a major single vendors SW ... > deep pockets did ... > known marketing ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Security dumming down - the kings clothes
      ... these networks we have: "it's a trifle chaotic out there". ... responsible for the security portion of this overall process our ... me that our greatest weakness as an industry is not that our customers are ... >>marketing or rhetoric PhD. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Security dumming down - the kings clothes
      ... >page index or their security index which goes back to Nov. 25. ... >great lengths to avoid criticizing the vendor in question. ... Even you avoided naming Microsoft, ... point about marketing bullsh*t applied to computer security. ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Regenderation
      ... Language evolving ... One minor point about marketing - the urge some marketers have to ... confusing when people do this. ...
      (rec.arts.drwho)
    • RE: Firewall configuration statistics
      ... > My question was clearly a marketing question regarding industry statistics. ... > As to the leaving number to sales and security to security professionals. ... >> The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
      (Security-Basics)