Re: [Full-Disclosure] Name One Web Site Compromised by Download.Ject?

From: Gregory A. Gilliss (ggilliss_at_netpublishing.com)
Date: 06/30/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:31:17 -0700

    Oh the naivete ...

    Regardless of the fact that this is full disclosure, does anyone really
    think that any medium to large business concern wants to make public the
    fact that their IT infrastructure is vulnerable? Especially in the Fascist
    Utopia that we call America? Pu-LEEZ!

    The reason that you have not seen anything is because no one wants to
    admit that (a) they are vulnerable, (b) their equipment sucks, (c) they
    employ idiots, (d) seventeen year old hackers are more intelligent/
    diligent/ persistent than their US$100,000+ per year IT guru (who's
    currently in a meeting...please leave a detailed message).

    As a normal part of any security audit that I perform, I provide the
    client with a contract that explicitly states that I will not, under
    penalty of law, divulge the identity of the client to anyone (except
    maybe the DoJ if they come after me). Companies (infallible as they are)
    have no desire to publicize their shortcomings. The lack of news
    regarding victims of this huge gaping hole (HGH) is no conspiracy
    or coverup. It's called "standard operating procedure". If you ever
    get a job in a corporation, you will become familiar with it.
    Acadamicians aren't supposed to practice information hiding. However I
    wonder whether your search would uncover any academic institutions that
    have suffered a similar fate?

    BTW, I don't necessarily advocate the silence; I merely understand it.

    --
    Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                              E-mail: greg@gilliss.com
    Computer Security                             WWW: http://www.gilliss.com/greg/
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Online News Consumers Become Own Editors
      ... By ANICK JESDANUN, AP Internet Writer ... he's down to three -- yet he consumes more news online than ... Some Web sites are already responding. ... Yahoo News, rather than trying to keep readers from leaving, provides ...
      (comp.dcom.telecom)
    • Katrina Overwhelms Weather Web Sites
      ... Several U.S. weather and news Web sites were deluged by heavy traffic ... Keynote was not immediately available for comment. ... Availability of the National Weather Service Web site www.nws.noaa.gov ...
      (comp.dcom.telecom)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Name One Web Site Compromised by Download.Ject?
      ... >supposedly many major web sites that were infecting their ... >searched the news articles on Download.Ject and to date I have not found ... >elephant by sweeping it under the rug. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: CSS instead of frames (but how)?
      ... if I wanted to move a border, ... Now for the visual aspect - it is a flawed premise that web sites should be designed visually. ... It's an attractive premise to clients, who think that users all have a 21 inch monitor completely devoted to their web site, but unless the client is going to follow the user around with an appropriate piece of hardware to play their website on, graphic design gets in the way. ...
      (alt.html)
    • WinXP---Problem with WebDAV- Known problem since 8/3/04---Where is the Fix????
      ... WebDAV support for some Web Sites from a Windows XP-based computer". ... >and every time I go to the virtual directory using the IE 6 webdav client, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup)