Re: [Full-Disclosure] MS Anti Virus?

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresne_at_winternet.com)
Date: 06/17/04

    To: "Gregory A. Gilliss" <ggilliss@netpublishing.com>
    Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:20:28 -0500 (CDT)

    They did this years back in the 90's anyone remember pctools, and their
    offerings? Guess what was bundled under DOS 6.2, might have gone back to
    DOS 6.0, but, pctools is no longer in the market...and was the norton
    counterpart/competition at the time...so, this would be a reentry...

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Gregory A. Gilliss wrote:

    > Dan et al:
    >
    > You are missing the point here. While it matters little *who* is in the A/V
    > market, it matters very much when one player is Microsoft, because the M$
    > business model (according to them and to the US DOJ) is to enter a market,
    > undercut the market, co-opt the market, drive out the competition, and
    > move on to the next market (not unlike a virus, as told by Agent Smith).
    > So if M$ enters the A/V market and "bundles" their solution with Windows
    > whatever, they likely will drive Symantec and McAfee out of the market
    > over time by co-opting the A/V subscription market.
    >
    > The security ramifications of a M$ only A/V marketplace relate to Dan Geer's
    > monoculture argument (already well discussed here) and also a conflict of
    > interest (since M$ products account for a majority of the A/V infections).
    > Can we "trust" an A/V solution from M$ that addresses virus infections of
    > M$ products? And is M$ controls both the virus host and the A/V inoculation,
    > does that not create a potential area of abuse - no license/upgrade/whatever,
    > no A/V subscription/update/whatever?
    >
    > As Reagan told Gorbachev, "Let me tell you why we do not trust you..."

    > On or about 2004.06.17 15:51:19 +0000, DAN MORRILL (dan_20407@msn.com) said:
    >
    > > You make anti virus software sound like a gun lock on a 9MM.
    > >
    > > Does it really matter who is in the anti-virus market? If Microsoft goes
    > > that way, and they have the best knowledge of what they created, what we
    > > can reasonably expect to see in the words of Bill Gates "Innovation, with
    > > rich user features, deeply embeded in our software".
    > >
    > > So, we can have an AV product that does great things, but maybe only 2% of
    > > it will be used, and because it is a microsoft product, we can expect
    > > patches every month, with known and unknown vulnerabilites from day one.
    >
    > --
    > Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP E-mail: greg@gilliss.com
    > Computer Security WWW: http://www.gilliss.com/greg/
    > PGP Key fingerprint 2F 0B 70 AE 5F 8E 71 7A 2D 86 52 BA B7 83 D9 B4 14 0E 8C A3

    > Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    > Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
            ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't touch anything.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Microsoft Hatred FAQ
      ... And the market wanted the Microsoft OS. ... such as DR DOS. ... Imagine that your corner store charged $1 for a Coke, $0.90 for a Pepsi, ... But in the case of Microsoft, there was no practical "elsewhere" to go to. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Microsoft Hatred FAQ
      ... And the market wanted the Microsoft OS. ... such as DR DOS. ... Imagine that your corner store charged $1 for a Coke, $0.90 for a Pepsi, ... But in the case of Microsoft, there was no practical "elsewhere" to go to. ...
      (comp.unix.programmer)
    • Re: Bug/problem with lcc-win
      ... People have been predicting the death of DOS for the last 20 years, ... company to find out whether there's a viable market. ... Dont you think that a large percentage of your so called big market would just be staying with their old compiler because that has worked for so many years already and is free anyway? ... Jacob has already stated he does not have the time to develop it. ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: Harper CANNOT be trusted with a majority Govt.
      ... DOS wouldn't run on any of those platforms. ... am using this piece of shit is because MicroSoft totally controls the ... They control the market because of past illegal marketing ...
      (rec.woodworking)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] MS Anti Virus?
      ... market, it matters very much when one player is Microsoft, because the M$ ... move on to the next market (not unlike a virus, ... So if M$ enters the A/V market and "bundles" their solution with Windows ... The security ramifications of a M$ only A/V marketplace relate to Dan Geer's ...
      (Full-Disclosure)