Re: [Full-Disclosure] MS Anti Virus?

From: Eric Paynter (eric_at_arcticbears.com)
Date: 06/17/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:11:26 -0700 (PDT)

    On Thu, June 17, 2004 8:51 am, DAN MORRILL said:
    > Does it really matter who is in the anti-virus market? If Microsoft goes
    > that way, and they have the best knowledge of what they created...

    (puts on tinfoil hat)

    From a paranoid point of view, "best knowledge of what they created" is a
    little scary. With MS in the virus prevention market, and with their
    history of unethical anti-competitive behaviour... I'd bet they'd always
    be the first to recognize a new virus. How? Because they could build in
    the vulnerability and create the virus and the signature in the AV all at
    the same time. Then anybody who has MSAV is unaffected, while the *real*
    AV companies are always one step behind... Zero day viruses already
    detected by MSAV - MS are Gods! How did they know? The other vendors lose
    market share because they suck compared to MS... Eventually, MS owns the
    AV market, the competition declares bankrupcy, and we have no choice in
    what AV tool to use.

    (takes off tinfoil hat)

    OK, it seems paranoid. And if they were found out, it would mean (several
    more) years in anti-trust court. But when has that stopped MS before?
    Haven't their already been dozens of lawsuits that MS has lost for using
    their monopoly status to squash competition? Isn't it their MO to enter a
    market and completely take it over by *seeming* to be the best? (seeming
    -they became best by using their exclusive control of the OS to break the
    competition, not by doing better job than the competition.)

    I think there is a serious conflict of interest here. It may leave us with
    little choice in the AV market. And that may have serious long term
    security implications.

    Too bad there is nothing anybody can do about it.

    -Eric

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html