[Full-Disclosure] MS Anti Virus?

From: Robert Michael Slade (rslade_at_vcn.bc.ca)
Date: 06/17/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:48:45 -0700 (PDT)

    Ah, how soon they forget. (Kids these days ...)

    Heck, *I* forget. Was it Windows 3.0 or 3.1? Anyway, DOS 6.

    And lo, Microsoft went forth unto the land, and spake unto the makers of
    AV, and did say, who will give unto us their product for cheap, that we
    may call it by our name, and all geeks may use of it, and bless our name.
    And the makers of AV muttered amungst themselves, and said, and if we do
    this, what shall it profit us? And Microsoft spake unto them saying, are
    ye not the makers of endless upgrades? And shall ye not sell these
    upgrades unto those who have need of them since all will have thine
    product even though it be called by our name?

    And lo, Central Point did underbid all the others. And Microsoft did take
    unto itself CPAV, and call it MSAV, and all those who purchased DOS 6 did
    partake of it, and thought that it was good. But none knew that they
    needed to upgrade it. And then came unto Microsoft and Central Point the
    shame of the 14 bytes, and geeks despised them. And Central Point was
    cast into Gehenna, or Symantec, which is the same thing.

    rslade@vcn.bc.ca slade@victoria.tc.ca rslade@sun.soci.niu.edu
    Find virus, book info http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
            Mirrored at http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade/rms.htm
    Robert Slade's Guide to Computer Viruses, 0-387-94663-2 (800-SPRINGER)
    Viruses Revealed 0072130903
    Software Forensics (forthcoming)

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html