Re: [Full-Disclosure] Cisco's stolen code

From: Tobias Weisserth (tobias_at_weisserth.de)
Date: 05/26/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:25:22 +0200

    Hi Roman,

    On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 08:53, roman.kunz@juliusbaer.com wrote:
    > now when it hits Cisco, everybody say its a crime lurking for the code or
    > publicating it. BUT when it hit M$ everybody thought, its a great idea to
    > share the stolen source code all over the internet (yes also on FD).

    What is true for Cisco is even more true for Microsoft. Stay the hell
    away from code that hasn't been licensed for you.

    Anybody who touches copyrighted code, be it MS or Cisco or whatever, is
    at risk. Why should I want to put myself at risk to solve problems the
    copyright holder of the code should solve? If I address a security flaw
    in MS code and say a year later I decide to write something that might
    attract the attention of MS as a competitor then I'm most certainly
    being confronted with accusations like "you took that from our code" and
    "you are a thief".

    Just think about the repeated accusations against Linus Torvalds who
    claims he never took a look at the "Lion's book". Just because the damn
    book is there people have to defend against it. So stay the hell away
    from code that hasn't been licensed to you.

    regards,
    Tobias

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html