Re: New LSASS-based worm finally here (Sasser)

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino (jfernandez_at_germinus.com)
Date: 05/03/04

    Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 10:45:35 +0200
    To: Ben Ryan <ben@bssc.edu.au>

    Ben Ryan wrote:

    > As expected, LSASS exploit-based worm seems to have arrived. Fasten your
    > seatbelts, those unpatched please use the spew bags provided :)
    > I hope PSS resolves the issues discussed in KB835732.

    What's more disturbing is that this worm has established a new record
    for Microsoft worms [1]. Blaster was the fastest worm (25 days since
    the patch was published to the worm), this one has been even faster
    (17 days for the first variant since the patch was published to the
    worm). Of course, I'm not considering the fact that this issue was
    known, at least to eEye and Microsoft, for over 5 months.

    Regards

    Javier

    [1] Approaching the record of worms in other OS, which, I believe, is
    held by Scalper (10 days from patch to worm). But hey, they could
    browse the source changes for that one.