RE: [Full-Disclosure] Cisco LEAP exploit tool...

From: Jeff Schreiner (techlist_at_kc.rr.com)
Date: 04/15/04

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:38:14 -0500

    This is true but from my experience with amateur radio an HF rig running at
    14 MHz (wavelength of 20 meters) at 1.5 watts will travel to Europe. A 2
    meter (144 - 150 Mhz) mobile rig with 1/2 wave omni directional antenna
    running at 50 watt output on a good day when the conditions are right will
    cover 25 to 30 miles before the signal degrades to a point that
    communication is not possible.

    The wavelength of 2.4 GHz is 128mm at 1 watt which is not going to go maybe
    a few hundred yards before it attenuates to nothing 1/4 mile at best not to
    mention all the other RF interference.

    Even a perfectly tuned directional antenna would not be able to pick up that
    miniscule of a signal from 7 miles away 1/2 mile maybe with a good preamp to
    amplify the incoming signal and you'd still have to dig it out of all the
    other RF noise.

    Even directional tracking devices used by zoologists will only pick up the
    signal from a few miles away and that's when in a helicopter in a pristine
    RF environment.

    Sorry about the extended discussion on RF broadcasts, the main point wanted
    to point out was detecting a 802.11 2.4 GHz transmission from 7 miles away
    would be almost impossible.

    Jeff Schreiner
    FCC call sign KB0WUN