Re: [Full-Disclosure] The new Microsoft math: 1 patch for 14 vulnerabilities, MS04-011

From: Rick Updegrove (
Date: 04/15/04

    Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:38:03 -0700

    Exibar wrote:

    > You might have a point there with your box Curt ;-)
    > But, Windows has a nice little utility that will patch you system for you
    > and pop up a nice little box near the clock that says system patched too...
    > Windows Update works quite well actually. Now if it was only turned full on
    > by default.

    On 2 recent occasions that I can recall a "windows update" broke windows.

    Once it disabled the NIC altogether and on another occasion it caused IE
    to run slower than a one legged cat, trying to bury a turd, on a frozen

    So as a result I no longer leave "install" by default, and instead I
    "download and notify" then every other day read all the "A serious blah
    blah -- allow attackers to take over the entire machine remotely blah
    blah" and manually patch

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.

    • Re: blue screen blues
      ... >then some stuff about restarting the computer, blah, blah, blah, then ... >upon restarting, everything else works fine & the blue screen pops up only ... I used to see this error with Windows 95 and incompatible Cyrix Math ...
    • Re: lament about freebsd sacrifices
      ... as compared to Microsoft Windows XP: ... That's a matter well worth mentioning, ... I sacrificed the following to run FreeBSD: ... desktop remotely Bob must log off blah blah, blah"), ...
    • Re: WMI - DEFRAG - Other software
      ... The builtin defrag will fail to work, and if running defrag from the command ... A network error occurred in connecting to Windows Management ... It will not be possible - blah, blah, blah". ... Tried to Restore, but the oldest restore point is only about five days ...
    • Re: Windows Explorer SLOW and Crashes after SP2
      ... I'll report back to you after I have complied with all of your recos. ... > Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP ... > | re-install all of my programs, blah, blah, blah. ... > | I consider myself to be a Power User, but not a Total Guru. ...
      ... blah, blah, blah> ... > machine via numerous exploits and use Windows Explorer to view files, ... > remote machine that has been pwned. ... An important element of disclosure is to actually disclose ...