Re: [Full-Disclosure] The new Microsoft math: 1 patch for 14 vulnerabilities, MS04-011

From: Rick Updegrove (dislists_at_updegrove.net)
Date: 04/15/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:38:03 -0700

    Exibar wrote:

    > You might have a point there with your box Curt ;-)
    >
    > But, Windows has a nice little utility that will patch you system for you
    > and pop up a nice little box near the clock that says system patched too...
    > Windows Update works quite well actually. Now if it was only turned full on
    > by default.

    On 2 recent occasions that I can recall a "windows update" broke windows.

    Once it disabled the NIC altogether and on another occasion it caused IE
    to run slower than a one legged cat, trying to bury a turd, on a frozen
    pond.

    So as a result I no longer leave "install" by default, and instead I
    "download and notify" then every other day read all the "A serious blah
    blah -- allow attackers to take over the entire machine remotely blah
    blah" and manually patch

    Rick

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html