Re: [Full-Disclosure] Training & Certifications

From: Dave Aitel (dave_at_immunitysec.com)
Date: 04/04/04

    To: Harlan Carvey <keydet89@yahoo.com>
    Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 18:56:44 -0500

    If you want to learn how to write exploits, Immunity is doing a
    Windows Exploitation class Apr 29-30 in Manhattan. Feel free to email
    me if you'd like more information...

    Dave Aitel
    Immunity, Inc.

    Harlan Carvey wrote:

    |> I'm not an authority on training as the only training I've had is
    |> SANS, but I can vouch for the quality it.
    |

    | Any particular instructors? I find it hard to believe that someone
    | who is an instructor at SANS would endorse tools like inzider. But
    | I do know other instructors that are pretty darned good...Jennifer
    | Kolde, for example.
    |
    |> ...when I see certain letters, I do pay closer attention.
    |

    | Which ones?
    |
    |> I'll break the ice by starting with something facetious like
    |> "What is the first thing you do with a Windows box and the last
    |> thing you do with a *NIX box when you have trouble?" Answer:
    |> reboot.
    |

    | I agree that would be a good way to break the ice, but from a
    | professional standpoint, I don't think it's a great idea. In the
    | real world, rebooting a Windows box isn't the first thing you
    | should be doing. I might be concerned that with such a question,
    | that might give the candidate an improper impression of how the
    | company conducts itself.
    |
    | The rest of your questions are good ones to ask, but again, for
    | Robert, I really think it depends on what sorts of services the
    | company plans to offer.
    |
    |> For sysadmins, I ask easier, more system specific questions, but
    |> for security I ask broad, tough questions because of the
    |> requirements of the field. I have only had one person so far,
    |> answer all correctly.
    |

    | Keep in mind, though, that depending upon the questions, what's
    | 'right' may be subjective.
    |
    | _______________________________________________ Full-Disclosure -
    | We believe in it. Charter:
    | http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: [Full-disclosure] strange domain name in phishing email
      ... Windows XP IE 6, web server is Apache on Windows 2003, does ... Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org ... Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html ... Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/ ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Admin account
      ... An Apple Genius asked me why I use an Admin account popping up windows ... It is irritating when things don't work as instructed (instructors ...
      (comp.sys.mac.misc)
    • Re: cursor movement jump
      ... Sounds like spyware or a home page hijacker. ... > casuing windows to open and close. ... > Its like the mouse command que has been saved, ... > pointer to the instructors suddenly jumps to a point far ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Training & Certifications
      ... that someone who is an instructor at SANS would ... instructors that are pretty darned good...Jennifer ... In the real world, rebooting a Windows ... sorts of services the company plans to offer. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: compressing files (Zip)
      ... How To Use Compressed Folders in Windows XP ... My instructors ... | anything in my programs about compressing files. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)