Re: [Full-Disclosure] erase with magnet

From: Alexander Heidenreich (313373_at_gmx.net)
Date: 04/03/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 18:22:05 +0000

    Am Samstag, 3. April 2004 15:36 schrieb B$H:

    Hi,

    > I'm interested in the original question about erasing a harddrive using a
    > magnet. Is it possible to erase data on a hard disk drive with a powerful
    > magnet, but then be able to use the drive and the PC again?

    That depends. Some harddrives are having a part of the bios in a protected
    sector. If you delete it, the drive isn't usable any more. The next question
    is the strength of the magnet. You need the same or stronger magnetic field
    to write to the surface than the magnetic field you've used to delete.
    After all it's theoretical possible to read some fluctuations of the magnetic
    field to restore your deleted data. It's better to overwrite the harddisk
    several times with random data to be shure everything is really deleted.

    > bye/B$H

    Alex

    --
    The 5th commandment:
    A Discordian is prohobited of believing what he reads.

    • The Sun Does a Flip
      ... solar physicist at the Marshall Space Flight Center. ... The Sun's magnetic poles will remain as they are now, ... Earth?s magnetic field also flips, ... Earth's, resembles that of an iron bar magnet, with great closed loops near the ...
      (sci.geo.geology)
    • Re: Magnets lose strength at cryogenic temperatures - confirms source of their power is thermal
      ... magnet change kinetic energy. ... "potential energy" resides. ... that there was potential energy stored in the magnetic field. ...
      (sci.physics)
    • Re: Einsteins Aether
      ... When the Aether unit absorbs dark ... and the electromagnetic charges are along the same axis. ... the Aether into a coherent and uniformly aligned magnetic field. ... when the polarly aligned material of the permanent magnet is ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)
    • Re: Particle Visualization
      ... stationary electrons say can never react to a magnetic field and it is only ... >> oops charged particles are involved again. ... Heat the magnet if it's a permanent magnet ...
      (sci.physics.particle)
    • Re: Can a magnetic field do work?
      ... he states that a magnetic field cannot do work. ... Suspend a strong permanent magnet 2 inches above a table with one ... The restraining force is the inertia of the iron bar ... restraining force) As the electron strikes the surface of the iron bar ...
      (sci.physics)