Re: [Full-Disclosure] FD should block attachments

From: Michael Gale (michael.gale_at_bluesuperman.com)
Date: 04/03/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:29:16 -0700

    Hello,

            As I have read all the replies below I feel I should respond. First
    of all I host my own domain which includes my own web, mail and ftp
    servers.

    At the moment my mail server is a postfix server with amavisd-new,
    clamAV and bogofilter.

    So all attachments get filtered - so client side filtering is NOT a
    problem or issue.

    The point -- this list is supposed to be for security professionals and
    not another bugtrag one. As security professionals, we should be setting
    examples.

    SMTP was not designed to transfer files, and think of the wasted
    bandwidth. I am lucky and pay for bandwidth at a flat rate and since my
    server is only my network my client downloads the message at 10MB
    second.

    The point -- how many people are on this list ? Lets say 10,000 -- some
    one sends a e-mail to the list containing a 1MB attachment. We just
    wasted / costs lists.netsys.com 10GB of transfer. Now lets those 10,000
    list subscribers, 50% do not care about the attachment and delete it,
    but the other 5,000 each response with their 1MB attachment.

    Now think about where you work -- we have a internal exchange server and
    every day are trying to convienence people to post links to files on the
    Intranet instead of attaching them --- why ? because why send 100 people
    the same attachment which they will all most likely save forever in the
    mailbox. (Now I know Exchange is supposed to try and do single message
    store)

    Look at all the bandwidth we wast, the money we cost other people and
    the examples we set. Posting a link to a file is much better way -- only
    those who want to see the attachment will download it.

    IRC servers have this type of setup I believe -- maybe the FD could
    setup a HTTP server where list subscribers could post files -- have a
    cron to auto delete any file older then 30 days or less.

    Michael.

    --
    Hand over the Slackware CD's and back AWAY from the computer, your geek
    rights have been revoked !!!
    Michael Gale
    Slackware user :)
    Bluesuperman.com
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: ISA Problem or Firewall Client issue?
      ... The server is a Dell Power Edge SBS 2003 server ... with ISA 2004 and a dual NIC configuration. ... bandwidth between my site and them. ... of users who use the network for functions other than Internet and e-mail. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: [SOLVED] Is my processor 32-bit or 64-bit?
      ... server at that time as they all used a single P6 bus, ... This CMP design also allowed assigning different amounts of memory to ... of times lower and bandwidth thousands of times higher than the fastest ... The fist Infiniband hardware hit the market in the early 2000s. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Fastream IQ Reverse Proxy 1.5.4R
      ... Secure your web server with cache, load-balancing, bw limits, ... bit industry strength SSL/TLS encryption, authentication, bandwidth ... limiting and load balancing with failover protection as well as GZip ... Client connections pooled with dynamic load determination algorithm ...
      (comp.software.shareware.announce)
    • Fastream IQ Reverse Proxy 1.4.0
      ... Secure your web server with cache, load-balancing, bw limits, ... bit industry strength SSL/TLS encryption, authentication, bandwidth ... limiting and load balancing with failover protection as well as GZip ...
      (comp.software.shareware.announce)
    • Fastream IQ Reverse Proxy 1.5.0R