Re: [Full-Disclosure] Bugfinder Being Indicted As Criminal ("Counterfeiter") in France

From: Paul Schmehl (pauls_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: 04/01/04

    To: ben@lanwest.com.au
    Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:43:22 -0600

    --On Thursday, April 1, 2004 11:45 AM +0800 Benjamin Meade
    <ben@lanwest.com.au> wrote:

    > Paul Schmehl wrote:
    >> Just one more reason not to travel to France.....
    >>
    >> I'm becoming convinced that the EU bureaucrats are determined to stiffle
    >> the world to death.
    >
    > This latest dose of irony from the country that brought you the RIAA,
    > DMCA, and export restrictions on cryptography.

    First of all, I never said there was a lack of stupidity *or* stifling
    bureaucracy in America. Far from it. But I *do* think Europe has mastered
    the art.

    WRT the DMCA, I hope you understand that's simply the enabling legislation
    for the US version based upon the world-wide treaty (<http://www.wipo.int/>
    ) that your country (and 179 other ones -
    <http://www.wipo.int/about-wipo/en/members/member_states.html>) also signed
    and agreed to enforce? (Not that agreement of the entire world
    automatically makes it right anyway.)

    In case you're not aware of it, your country has amended the copyright laws
    several times recently to obtain compliance with the WIPO.

    <http://www.dcita.gov.au/Article/0,,0_1-2_12-3_213-4_14299,00.html>

    The RIAA? Un, that's a private, industry owned, advocacy group. Not sure
    how you think that fits in with my comments about bureaucrats???

    Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
    Adjunct Information Security Officer
    The University of Texas at Dallas
    AVIEN Founding Member