Re: [Full-Disclosure] Is this a paypal scam?

From: Michael Cecil (macecil_at_comcast.net)
Date: 03/19/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 05:26:31 -0600

    jschmidt@buhler.com wrote:

    >http://218.62.43.30/verify.html
    >
    >Signed up for paypal 2 weeks ago, and then this came in the mail as a link
    >in a paypal looking html email asking me to confirm by entering my credit
    >card/account info.
    >I've only purchased 1 thing since signing up; it was from ebay from a
    >longtime seller with nearly 100% positive feedback, and I received the
    >equipment as expected.
    >If this is a scam, then maybe paypal has some employees passing new
    >account info outside the company.
    >
    >-jamie-

    Short answer: Yes, it is a scam.

    I don't have any paypal account (and never will) but I routinely get these
    kind of emails. I get them apparently from banks and credit card companies
    as well.

    Good rule of thumb - never click on a link in email. Always use your
    existing known-good URL for paypal (or whatever), then check the site for
    security announcements, etc.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    macecil@comcast.net

    • Re: Am i getting scamed? how does this work if i am? please help.
      ... The website itself may be a big scam, ... The fantasy of getting something for nothing. ... spam ("Please help us do a bank transfer of $100 million, ... Get Credit Where Credit Is Due ...
      (misc.consumers)
    • Re: Coulter/Carlin
      ... hype the show, shows gets huge ratings, coulter takes credit. ... what a scam. ... Odd. ...
      (rec.sport.pro-wrestling)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Is this a paypal scam?
      ... > card/account info. ... > If this is a scam, then maybe paypal has some employees passing new ... every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt ... This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Business Opportunity for IT Consultants & Engineers
      ... You have to have good credit to get a phone. ... pre-pay to one of those other scam companies....(c; ... he provided no business contact information such as a phone ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)