[Full-Disclosure] Emailing SSN info

From: Tony Gettig (GettigAM_at_kalamazoo.k12.mi.us)
Date: 03/18/04

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:44:56 -0500

    Hi all,

    I work for a school district in the USA. Higher management wants to
    email a zipped data export (presumbably password protected) to a vendor
    that includes the Social Security Number for employees. I have advised
    them against this. Shipping a CDROM overnight would be more secure, IMO.

    Now they want to know if there are any laws pertaining to the emailing
    of SSN info. (Why they are asking me and not an attorney, I am not
    sure...though I AM going to tell them to speak to an attorney too.)

    Can any one point me to a website or cite specific US (or even state)
    laws regarding this? Even a reply telling me why this is a bad idea
    would be great. If I am wrong, I am glad to hear that too. Thanks in
    advance!

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Emailing SSN info
      ... Not knowing what vendor they want to ship these SSN's off to makes it hard ... although I am NOT an attorney I believe they are opening up ... Subject: Emailing SSN info ... > Now they want to know if there are any laws pertaining to the emailing ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Consulting company not paying final check!
      ... the client pays the vendor and the vendor ... pursue legal action against this company and its owner. ... And I am not your attorney. ...
      (misc.legal)
    • Re: Consulting company not paying final check!
      ... between the large client and me. ... It is the vendor in the middle. ... Iit is between you and the person you have agreed to do business with. ... Go see an attorney. ...
      (misc.legal)