Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Microsoft Security, baby steps ?

From: Luke Scharf (lscharf_at_aoe.vt.edu)
Date: 03/17/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:19:08 -0500

    On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 22:58, Paul Schmehl wrote:
    > As an aside, this is a problem with just about all software. By the time
    > they freeze the "contents", warehouse it, ship it to distributors who ship
    > it to the retailers, who sell it to the consumer, the first thing they have
    > to do after installing is update.

    Hey, if I can have an idiot-proof way of installing just the fixes for
    the RPC problems on Windows before attaching to the network, I'll be
    that much farther ahead.

    I sometimes forget to download the patches from behind the firewall or
    to use the install CDs that have the patches added... Then it takes
    three times longer to rebuild the machine. And, of course, the only
    reason I'm rebuilding it is because the machine was loaded with malware
    anyway...

    I've been a lot better about this lately, but I still think it's kind of
    absurd that I can't plug a freshly rebuilt Windows XP machine into the
    network. You'd think that Microsoft would at least make an official
    release of Windows XP.1 or something like that to address this totally
    absurd problem with their software.

    -Luke

    --
    Luke Scharf, Systems Administrator
    Virginia Tech Aerospace and Ocean Engineering