RE: [Full-Disclosure] Caching a sniffer

From: David Bartholomew (dfbarth_at_akiva.com)
Date: 03/11/04

    To: "'Full Disclosure'" <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>, SECURITY-BASICS@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:17:53 -0500

    You can't hijack a switched environment with *only* the dsniff tools,
    though. Arpspoof is very nifty for 'lying' to the wire and telling it
    you are who you say you are. But if you're not *supposed* to be getting
    all the network's packets *and* you arpspoof the gateway's IP with your
    MAC address, you're going to give yourself away.

    So, a simply iptables rule to route all traffic that comes in on your
    interface to the IP address of the gateway handles that need nicely.

    No one on your network will notice a difference, except if they list
    their arp tables or traceroute, and notice that there's something fishy
    going on. But why would they do that if there was no interruption of
    service! *wink*

    dfbarth

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html