RE: [Full-Disclosure] Caching a sniffer

From: Kenton Smith (ksmith_at_chartwelltechnology.com)
Date: 03/11/04

    To: dcoletta12@hotmail.com
    Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:01:19 -0700

    On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 10:43, Mike Fratto wrote:

    > Your assuming that the attacker 1) has control of the switch and 2) is
    > sniffing either the uplink or has configured the switch to mirror all the
    > switch ports or VLAN to the mirror port.
    >
    > Neither of which may be the case.

    There are many people on this list who have more knowledge of this than
    I do, but having control of the switch isn't the only way to sniff a
    switched network. All you need is a way of spoofing ARP packets and you
    can intercept all the traffic you want. Here's one such set of tools -
    http://naughty.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/

    Kenton

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: 1994 s-10 electrical help needed
      ... Turns out that I am getting power to the outside rear view mirror switch from 2 power sources, where it should be only one. ... and I believe I am getting power back fed into the circuit from the dome lamp. ...
      (rec.autos.tech)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Caching a sniffer
      ... > switch ports or VLAN to the mirror port. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Caching a sniffer
      ... > switch ports or VLAN to the mirror port. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Caching a sniffer
      ... > switch ports or VLAN to the mirror port. ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Up2date: Xorg never resolves dependencies
      ... I find it a good advise to do X updates in console mode only. ... Then login as root and switch off X by running ... Else a mirror would be chosen ... legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp ...
      (Fedora)