Re: [Full-Disclosure] Caching a sniffer

From: Tim (tim-security_at_sentinelchicken.org)
Date: 03/11/04

    To: "Patricio Bruna V." <pbruna@masev.cl>
    Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:59:58 -0800

    > How can i know if there a sniffer running in my network?

    There was a long thread on this subject in February on focus-ids:
      http://seclists.org/lists/focus-ids/2004/Feb/0028.html

    One link to an interesting paper posted there:
      http://www.securityfriday.com/promiscuous_detection_01.pdf

    There may be other ways, but the approach described in the paper would
    probably work in most cases provided the interface in question was
    configured with an IP. Then again, I may not know what the hell I am
    talking about...

    tim

    Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
    any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
    to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
    Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
    pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
    of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
    Visit us at:
    http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html