Re: [Full-Disclosure] Where to start

From: petard (petard_at_freeshell.org)
Date: 03/09/04

    To: Andrew Aris <andrew@dev.bigfishinternet.co.uk>
    Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:26:36 +0000

    On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 02:40:33PM -0000, Andrew Aris wrote:
    > Well I can speak up for one as someone who doens't have a huge knowledge
    > base. So I would also be most interested in any sort of pointers on starting
    > out as a security admin. I'm not completely ignorant but it is only recently
    > that I have become responsible for security of more than a small home
    > network. (In this case a W2K3 web server and also the office network). Much
    > of background in security is theoretical learnt during my postgrad year so
    > real world info is what I'm after.
    >
    > Apologies if the list wasnt the correct place for this post.

    Not that people here aren't helpful, but there really are better forums
    for newbies to post in. (I'd strongly recommend lurking here and not
    running any code you see unless you understand every character of it
    :-))

    One such forum is security-basics, over at SecurityFocus (provided you
    are not morally opposed to their forums). See their foundations page
    here:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/foundations
    and read the archives or subscribe here:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/105

    regards,

    petard

    --
    If your message really might be confidential, download my PGP key here:
    http://petard.freeshell.org/petard.asc

    • Cybercrime Flourishes in Hacker Online Forums
      ... your Social Security number and manipulate your identity than you can ... The cybercrime forums gird a criminal economy that robs U.S. businesses ... The Secret Service and FBI declined to comment on Iceman or the ... Members could also exchange private ...
      (comp.dcom.telecom)
    • Re: IE6 SP1 on WinXP fails to work, SP2 doesnt help
      ... ISRVS is a signature of Bube.d Trojan, David. ... I strongly urge you to post to one of the HijackThis Logs forums. ... MS MVP-Windows & Security ...
    • Re: IE6 SP1 on WinXP fails to work, SP2 doesnt help
      ... ISRVS is a signature of Bube.d Trojan, David. ... I strongly urge you to post to one of the HijackThis Logs forums. ... MS MVP-Windows & Security ...
    • Re: Internet Explorer crashes
      ... Also note the security tips and other important information on that page. ... to one of the forums listed below. ... Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276393 ... A repair of IE may help: ...
    • Re: Error report on closing!?
      ... Download and run CWShredder, Ad-aware, Spybot ... Also note the security tips and other important information on that page. ... to one of the forums listed below. ... > error report when I close it using the cross in the top right hand corner ...