RE: [inbox] Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: E-Mail viruses

From: Curt Purdy (purdy_at_tecman.com)
Date: 03/05/04

    To: "'Ron DuFresne'" <dufresne@winternet.com>, "'Earl Keyser'" <Earl.Keyser@wayzata.k12.mn.us>
    Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:36:10 -0600

    Ron DuFresne wrote:

    > > 1. We use the Draconian technique of stripping all .exe
    > .zip. ,gif .jpg
    > > .scr .bat .pif files.

    > Very draconian in todays world, and not productive by the way
    > some folks
    > do the work they have to do with limited capabilities these days. It
    > seems that we might was well revert back to only allowing
    > e-mail in plain text

    Ah, I wish... An alternative is to allow only a proprietary extension
    through, like .inc Legitimate senders would rename the file, be it .exe
    .doc .jpg, indicate in the body of the message what the true extension is,
    and the receiver merely renames it. A little trouble yes, but it virtually
    eliminates email propagated viruses from the corporation.

    Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
    Information Security Engineer
    DP Solutions

    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
    What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html