RE: [Full-Disclosure] Email legislation does not exist

From: Ron DuFresne (
Date: 03/05/04

    To: Bill Royds <>
    Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:00:30 -0600 (CST)

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Bill Royds wrote:

    > Interestingly, the regular postal service started as a collection of private
    > couriers carrying mail using private stagecoaches.
    > One great advance of the 19th century was to create the Royal Mail in
    > England which guaranteed delivery to all for a minimal cost.
    > Part of the agreement was the idea that mail had legal status and there was
    > an enforceable contract for delivery.
    > The postage stamp was invented so that the sender would be able to make an
    > easy contract. He had paid for delivery so he should be guaranteed delivery.
    > Perhaps sender-pay is an idea whose time has come on the Internet.

    Prior to the blanket opening of the internet flood gates to the public at
    large, amny providers like prodigy, AOL, compuspend and various others
    did just that. This feel away with many of the other costly contraints
    as more ambitious and less stingy providers stepped in to suck in pennies
    on the dollar for a larger client base. Funny that it's again one of the
    "new" proposals coming out of redmond...

    Cool, the internet dance, one step forward two back, three to the right
    side and a half step left...

    Ron DuFresne
    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
            ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

    OK, so you're a Ph.D. Just don't touch anything.

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.

    • Pentagon papers offer insight into al-Qaedas hidden world of terror
      ... It could be any employment contract setting out salary, paid holidays, ... such as al-Qa'eda's branch in Saudi Arabia or Jemaah Islamiya in ... Al-Qa'eda's attention to publicity and the potential of the internet ... the failure to launch the "World Islamic Front ...
    • OT rant about web building
      ... Response I get is that I can't publish the site because it contains information regarding duty stations of soldiers (which is also published elsewhere on the internet, and is also part of the contract). ... On top of that, I have now ticked off the person who has control over the new computer I need to purchase for my program, along with the power to approve or disapprove the purchase. ... I go to the web hosting site, pay for the account, and now I find out I can't just publish the pages I built in Publisher and will have to start over with their page builder! ...
    • Re: AT&T wireless forced me to have an Internet "data plan" (is that legal)?
      ... I haven't seen the OP's contract with AT&T, but from his machinations, ... I'm gonna guess it says something like "You agree to buy a Blackberry ... from us and in return we agree to provide phone and internet service at ... switch your service to an internet-incapable device then and only then ...
    • Re: Gunners computer wont go on-line
      ... if someone has a contract with Time Warner and allows the general ... public internet access, then it is whatever the contract requires.. ... Service provided to downtown Seattle parks ...
    • Re: HDSPA on O2 Simplicity?
      ... costs, while keeping 'unlimited' internet. ... basic contracts which includes HSDPA and I've got used to it now, ... need them and I think I would lose the HSDPA as it is a new contract). ...