RE: [Full-Disclosure] Backdoor not recognized by Kaspersky

From: Larry Seltzer (larry_at_larryseltzer.com)
Date: 03/04/04

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 06:20:48 -0500

    > Another quick workaround to SPF, Caller ID and Domain Keys has alredy
    > been implemented by spammers for a year or so. The only premise behind
    > S/C/D is that you are trusted if you have access to a DNS server.
    > Spammers are using compromised machines not only as SMTP servers, but
    > also web servers and DNS servers. The end result is that spammers have
    > already completely circumvented all three solutions way before they
    > were ever implemented.

    I'm really not clear how this could work on a DHCP client, which the overwhelming
    majority of compromised systems must be. Please don't just tell me it's magic and works.

    What you said in another message about just cracking the storage of credentials in the
    registry or file system impresses me more and I'm looking into it.

    Larry Seltzer
    eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
    http://security.eweek.com/
    larryseltzer@ziffdavis.com