[Full-Disclosure] Re: Multiple issues with Mac OS X AFP client

From: Marukka (marukka_at_consoleconductor.com)
Date: 03/04/04

    To: Chris Adams <chris@improbable.org>, BUGTRAQ <bugtraq@securityfocus.com>, "'full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com'" <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:34:26 -0600

    Nice find. Most people really shouldnąt be using AFP. I know that Classic
    MacOS machines store the passwords on disk using a simple XOR cipher. I
    would assume that they also transmit the password using the same cipher.
    SecureMac.com has a article on this if anyone is interested.
    "The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) is the most dangerous
    organization in the world."
    Bill O'Reilly on Fox News during the "No Spin Zone" on January 10th 2004

    On 2/27/04 7:12 PM, "Chris Adams" <chris@improbable.org> wrote:

    > On Feb 27, 2004, at 9:24, Chris Adams wrote:
    >> Multiple issues with Mac OS X AFP client
    >
    >> Vendor Response:
    >>
    >> None
    >
    > After some discussion with someone on Apple's product security team it
    > turns out that I was responsible for the lack of response - my original
    > notice went to Apple corporate security rather than product security
    > and apparently was never forwarded on. In contrast, a member of the
    > product security team responded to my last email shortly after the
    > advisory was released.
    >
    > Chris

    "People walk up to me all the time and say "Don't let us down again!""
    George W Bush During The First Debate With Al Gore On October 3 2000

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Multiple issues with Mac OS X AFP client
      ... Most people really shouldnąt be using AFP. ... MacOS machines store the passwords on disk using a simple XOR cipher. ... > After some discussion with someone on Apple's product security team it ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: Multiple issues with Mac OS X AFP client
      ... Most people really shouldnąt be using AFP. ... MacOS machines store the passwords on disk using a simple XOR cipher. ... > After some discussion with someone on Apple's product security team it ...
      (Full-Disclosure)