RE: [Full-Disclosure] Knocking Microsoft

From: Steve Wray (steve.wray_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: 02/28/04

    To: full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com
    Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:18:34 +1300

    > > which many would not hesitate to laugh at. However windows
    > > server 2003 does not by default load unnecessary services.
    >
    > So MS is doing what UNIX did from the start 20 years ago.

    Sadly, this is in decline in the Linux world;

    Most of the nice, friendly, easy to use package management
    systems (rpm and apt for two) usually run the daemon
    in its default configuration, immediately its installed.
    And if they don't actually run them at install time, they
    set them up to start at the next reboot (having set up the
    default symlinks in /etc/rc[1-5].d), yes, in its default configuration.

    IMO this *sucks* and is every bit as bad as any M$ offering.

    Oh sure many would say 'but its default configuration is safe!'
    Rubbish.

    Some of them (debian comes to mind) even set up services
    like mysql to run in *single*user*mode*; debian even brings
    up networking in single user! I recently had the joy of
    discovering that when you install the debian watchdog package,
    it sets it up to run in single user, so if its misconfigured,
    you have to boot with init=/bin/sh to fix the mess (otherwise
    you bring it up in single user and it just reboots itself over
    and over).

    This isn't just a bug, its a design flaw!

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: video driver / only low resolution possible?
      ... install is to be and there is little choice for the end user. ... When I installed Debian, ... boot into single user as you were doing.. ... And start the network. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: Debian
      ... >> configuration tool to send this in plain text so I am sorry in ... >> What I am most concerned about is getting help with the Debian ... > difficulties cannot seem able to install packages. ... Then scroll down to the ...
      (Debian-User)
    • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Knocking Microsoft
      ... It was an older debian ... The purpose of single user is to be able to bring a machine up ... in single user mode. ... >> I recently had the joy of discovering that when you install the ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Replicating Debian Systems
      ... >way to install debian would be to stick a cd into a computer, ... >to do just that and maybe d/l the packages off of the web or another ... >I also have some of my own software to install and also need to modify ... but maintaining configuration files with cfengine is ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: New install -- MTA mail needs to be reconfigured
      ... > I finally installed my first Debian system earlier this morning and I ... > few issues that come up after a first install. ... "the mail configuration utility" sounds like M$ mindset/talk. ...
      (Debian-User)