RE: [Full-Disclosure] a question about e-mails

From: Rainer Gerhards (rgerhards_at_hq.adiscon.com)
Date: 02/26/04

    To: "Sandeep Sengupta" <sengupta@india.com>, <aunur@burntmail.com>, <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>, <security_basics@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:55:39 +0100

    > Do a "REPLY ALL" (MS Outlook/express)
    > All the email ids in TO, CC, BCC will be displayed.

    BCC will not. The reason is that BCC recipients are only in the
    envelope, which should not be seen by the MUA (mail user agent, e.g.
    outlook). All non-broken implementations do this right (and I don't know
    a broken implementation that does *this* wrong).

    The only way you can see BCC recipients is if you

    a) have access to the first server used to transmit the message
       (the sender's server)
    b) this server has detailled-enough logging active
    c) you can access & review the logs

    Subsequent servers (recipient's servers) do NOT have full BCC
    information, not even in their logs. This is because the sending server
    does not mention envelope recipients that are not on the target server.

    For the same reasons, envelope recipients and body recipients ("TO:",
    "CC:") can be totally differnet (yet another way to fake things).

    All of this, of course, is nicely documented in the SMTP RFCs (which I
    don't all know by number - RFC 822 may be a good starting point, google
    may be another ;)).

    HTH
    Rainer

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Hiding recipient addresses when sending to lot of recipients using Outlook 2010
      ... We don't want to have the recipient addresses in BCC ... Our Exchange server administrator, does not have time to create server ... client distribution mailing lists reveal the addresses to all recipients. ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
    • Re: bcc
      ... As an Outlook Express user I'd put all the recipients in a "Group" and ... which presumably the server sends out one at a time. ... The Exchange server is set to allow 64000 recipients ... When he attempts to send a bcc message out to a large number ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook)
    • Re: email repeatedly resent when exchange restarts
      ... What antivirus software are you running on this server? ... > When we restart exchange or reboot the server the email ... > gets resent to all the bcc recipients. ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange2000.general)
    • Re: Hiding recipient addresses when sending to lot of recipients using Outlook 2010
      ... We don't want to have the recipient addresses in BCC ... Our Exchange server administrator, does not have time to create server ... client distribution mailing lists reveal the addresses to all recipients. ...
      (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
    • Re: AdaPower and GWindows community effort drive
      ... I'll take a look at the server and repost when I know it is fixed. ... David Botton ... > This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason: ... > Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server. ...
      (comp.lang.ada)