Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Re: GAYER THAN AIDS ADVISORY #01: IE 5 remote code execution

From: morning_wood (se_cur_ity_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 02/19/04

    To: "Bill Royds" <full-disclosure@royds.net>, <insecure@ameritech.net>, "'Tim'" <tim-security@sentinelchicken.org>
    Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:04:47 -0800

    > Last time I was at my doctor's medical clinic, I noticed all the shiny new
    > LCD monitors showing the Windows logon prompt with account Administrator. I
    > asked the receptionist why. She said so that anyone could sing on any
    > machine when they needed it, since individual machines lock out so only
    > signed user or administrator can sign on. They did have the screensaver
    > timeout so people off the street couldn't sign on. But the only way to make
    > the multiple workstations usable from for anybody was to use administrator
    > account on all of them.
    > This is a bit of a design flaw in the Windows network that means security
    > is much less than it ought to be.

    my question is... who is the admin / security manager for this locale?
    again, this is not a windows issue, it is an administrator issue in which
    the controlling admin of the network is clueless as to how to manage
    a flexible win-net.

    Donnie Werner
    dwerner@exploitlabs.com
    http://exploitlabs.com
    360-312-8011

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: msconfig problem
      ... Operating system is Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with SP2. ... Administrator to make the return to Normal Startup. ... Event Type: Warning ...
    • Re: i did something wrong. New User
      ... I have a boot disk called "ERD Commander" that gives me full access to the Windows XP ... Even changing the User to "Administrator" resulted in the same ... Both Computers are Dell Dimension computers with Window XP Pro and I have the Dell ... so I tried a Repair Installation. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Automatic and web based Windows Update Installs all fail...
      ... "Administrators only" error message when you attempt to use the Windows ... Please contact your system administrator." ... CD, (by clicking on the Install Windows 2000 link), I receive the infamous ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update)
    • Re: Automatic and web based Windows Update Installs all fail...
      ... "Administrators only" error message when you attempt to use the Windows ... Please contact your system administrator." ... CD, (by clicking on the Install Windows 2000 link), I receive the infamous ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update)
    • Re: Administrator rights-QuickBooks2006Pro
      ... XP and Windows 2000 users must have Power Users or Administrator group rights in order to run QuickBooks. ... Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits" sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders. ... limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the ...