RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Re: GAYER THAN AIDS ADVISORY #01: IE 5 remote code execution

From: Shawn K. Hall (RA/Security) (Security_at_ReliableAnswers.com)
Date: 02/18/04

    To: <full-disclosure@lists.netsys.com>
    Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:02:12 -0500

    Hi Gabriel,

    > > Software bugs can cause death, and have before,
    > > both on the small scale, and the large scale.
    >
    > This is outrageous FUD. Web browsers are not used in
    > medical appliances.

    'Life-and-death' isn't just about medical appliances. The power outage
    last year in the north-east USA which struck eight states and part of
    canada over the course of several days was exarcebated by a software
    bug:
      http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast/02/13/blackout.ap/
      NEW YORK (AP) -- A programming error has been identified
      as the cause of alarm failures that might have contributed
      to the scope of last summer's Northeast blackout, industry
      officials said Thursday.

    I have no doubt that the traffic lights alone going out would have
    caused at least one person to die - and I personally saw two (rather
    bad) car accidents only a block away from my house minutes after the
    power went out. I doubt those were the only ones.

    It *does* happen. It *can* cause loss of life. Not having power during
    the summer heat is definitely capable of loss of life, especially for
    the very young and elderly, who rely on air conditioning and other
    'home' power devices to survive their environments.

    Granted, this thread was initially about an IE exploit, and I highly
    doubt IE was in any way involved in this, but my point (and the one
    you responded to) was that software errors don't cause loss of life.
    They can, do, and they are rarely held accountable.

    Regards,

    Shawn K. Hall
    http://ReliableAnswers.com/

    '// ========================================================
        "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
           -- Yoda

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

    • Re: Solving the Energy problem.
      ... It hasn't been seriously *tried* at any larger scale than that. ... some people have the ability to do cost projections without actually ... Geothermal power could be used at almost any location in the country - ... Geothermal plants would not need to power the entire electrical grid ...
      (rec.martial-arts)
    • Re: Solving the Energy problem.
      ... It hasn't been seriously *tried* at any larger scale than that. ... Geothermal power could be used at almost any location in the country - ... difficult, GT could be made to work, and the cost frankly wouldn't be ... Geothermal plants would not need to power the entire electrical grid ...
      (rec.martial-arts)
    • Re: Voltages for N vs HO
      ... I want ot run HO trains with the MRC 770N power supply ... many HO and N scale locos reach their maximum prototypical speeds around 9V. ... A typical DC motor drew 1/2 amp or more in an HO engine, and about 1/4 amp in an N engine. ...
      (rec.models.railroad)
    • Re: Eletrolytic Rust Removal Question
      ... It works fine on a small scale (1/2 gallon of ... >sodium carbonate solution) and removes rust. ... As you scale up your electrolytic cleaning you need to scale up size ... of your power supply. ...
      (sci.engr.joining.welding)